Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Here in Canada we live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and are blessed with an abundance of land, trees, lakes and forests. We are also lucky enough to experience 4 (or at least 3) distinct seasons during the year.
Being originally from the UK, I often still experience that ‘novelty factor’ feeling, even after living here for over 10 years!
A snowy day often reminds me of my childhood, when I literally dreamt of snow and was incredibly grateful for even the tiniest flakes.
Of course living in Edmonton brings more than just tiny flakes and with it, an abundance of winter activities!
Snowshoeing is one of the most overlooked fun and easy activities available.
Even living in a city, it’s relatively easy to find decent places to snowshoe. Check out the River Valley trails, parks, golf courses and even fields. Or drive further afield and go to Elk Island National Park and view wildlife by snowshoe.
So, let’s look at the facts:
1. It is fun for people of all ages. In fact, I was discussing the attributes of snowshoeing recently with client who is 78 years old and still snowshoes on a regular basis!
2. It is cheap! You can pick up a decent pair of adult snowshoes for around $130 that will last you for years! Alternatively you can rent snowshoes for as little as $12 per day/ $56 per week! (See Mountain Equipment Co-op @ http://www.mec.ca/ ).
3. Snowshoeing is great exercise! You can burn approximately 400 calories per hour and the low impact sport is easy on your knees and is a relatively safe sport.
4. It is easy! Put one foot in front of the other. Move as fast or as slow as you wish and just get going!
5. It is a sociable activity! You can take friends, children or even your dog.
So what are you waiting for?